Packaging branch simplification
Note: the following mockups do not try to fit the current implementation of bzr builder recipes or the corresponding current LP models.
Build my bugfix packaging branch
Guilherme has his own packaging branch of the Toggle project that fixes a packaging bug and would like to build and publish the resulting package in his PPA.
While viewing his branch (+guilherme/ubuntu/lucid/+...), Guilherme:
- Clicks on the "Build this branch" link, (MOCKUP REQUIRED)
- A "Build this branch to a PPA" overlay appears displaying a selection for his target PPA and a recipe selection (shown below). Guilherme selects his target PPA where he wants the package to be published. Even though there is currently no recipe for building this branch, the UI presents "Default recipe using branch packaging" (or similar). The recipe description says "This recipe simply builds the branch using the debian packaging information. Supports Ubuntu Lucid." As Guilherme doesn't have any special needs, he simply clicks "Build now".
- The overlay disappears and the branch page is updated with a "Recent builds" portlet listing the new build and its status (MOCKUP REQUIRED), linking to (somewhere appropriate within) the PPA.
- The options discussed for this scenario are:
- users would not be required to create a recipe as in this situation (a packaging branch) we know enough to be able to create the recipe. This option is presented above. Or
- the recipe selector would not display any recipes but clicking on the Create a new recipe would pre-fill all the relevant description/name etc., so they just have to review and save it.
- James will have more of a think about which option would be more useful (ie. ease-of-initial-use vs. getting devs used to the concept of recipes).
- - I think the option presented in the mockup is a good one. I think the only thing lacking is discussion of whether this default recipe would always take precedence over any others that may be available, or otherwise what the default selection criteria would be.